Jean Murdoch

My photo
Westport, CT, United States

Monday, March 29, 2010

Cascade versus Knit Picks


So the question I had was the comparing of Cascade Sock Yarn versus Knit Pick Stroll Yarns. It took a little while for me to get to knitting a pair of socks using the Cascade Heritage Yarn. I had heard alot about it and there were many colors that were available, So I knitted a pair of socks using Cascade and had these thoughts about the yarn versus Knit Picks Stroll Sock yarns.

Both are machine washable superwash yarns, blends of 75% Merino and 25% Nylon. I loved that Cascade was one skein of 437 yds which was enough for a pair of socks (I like just having one continuous strand of yarn) and loved the colors available. Where as Knit Picks Stroll was 231 yds per skein so you had to purchase 2 skeins (462 yds) and the color selection of Knit Picks is not really as extensive as Cascades. Prices were wide apart as the Cacade was $11.95 for one skein (without shipping) and Knit picks was $3.49 a skein or $6.98 for 2 skeins (without shipping).

As far as the feel of the finished socks I was surprised to see that I thought the Knit Picks was pleasantly softer and smoother to the touch and had a nice bounce to the finish sock. The Cascade sock seem not as soft. That was a surprise but they both are easy to knit with. Again I really liked the array of colors that Cascade offers but if you catch Knit Pick as the seasons change they seem to offer different colors...just not as many. For the price...I guess I'll continue to use Knit Picks for Etsy socks but if I had a few extra bucks will go back to Lorna Laces (my absolute favorite when I can afford it).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive