Jean Murdoch

My photo
Westport, CT, United States

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Hoping that May will bring more production in knitting...might add spinning to that. Somewhere in the 1960's - 70's I became interested in spinning and natural dying wool. I would go to a farm and purchase some fleece and then forage the parks and meadows and even the neighborhood that I lived in for various berries, root stocks and wild blooms. I can remember creating a book of my recipes with samples taped to the recipes. It was then that I purchased a spinning wheel and drop spindle and started to spin alittle. Got enough to actually do a sweater. Since then I pull out the wheel and do a little spinning but no longer forage or dye. My daughter surprised me with a wonderful visit with grandchildren in tow and since she lives on the north west coast and I live on the east coast it was a wonderful surprise...we don't get to see enough of each other. She brought with her a turkish spindle and it was truly a beautiful spindle. I did a little spinning with it and my husband took pictures of the spindle and said he would make one for me...and he did. It is a wonderfully crafted tool that I will use when I want that wonderful feel of fibers running through my fingers and the satisfied feeling of spinning your own yarn. Who knows...might be part of another pair of socks or mitts one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive